Development Awards are grants of up to £500 to help young people who are struggling to access education, work or training due to a lack of funds. Please note that the average award is £200 and it is not possible to support every young person with a £500 grant.
Who can apply?
You may be eligible if you are a UK resident and are:
- Aged 14-17 and do not have/are not expecting to achieve 5 GCSEs grades A-C-(or equivalent), or
- Aged 17-25 and unemployed or working fewer than 16 hours a week, or in education fewer than 14 hours a week
Development Awards can be used to help fund:
- Costs up to £500
- Tools or equipment for a job or qualification e.g. hairdressing kit, carpentry tools, chef whites
- Course fees
- Interview clothes
- License fees e.g. CSCS card (construction) or SIA license (security)
- Childcare costs to help single parents access short term education
- Transport to a new job until first pay cheque
If you meet the criteria, all you need to do is get in touch and tell the Prince’s Trust a bit about yourself and how the award would be used.
The whole process can take up to six weeks, although it may be quicker, but the Prince’s Trust recommends getting in touch sooner rather than later.
Full information here.