The Lyric Theatre is Northern Ireland’s only full-time producing theatre.
Each year we produce 9 or 10 full-scale productions, 2 of which run concurrently at Christmas. We also receive visiting work from touring companies. We stage some 400 performances each year and are the largest employer of theatre practitioners in Northern Ireland. Our modern theatre opened in 2011 and consists of the 390 seat main stage and the 124 seat flexible Naughton Studio. In recent years the theatre won 4 Irish Theatre Awards, was voted NI’s most welcoming theatre, staged co-productions with the Abbey Theatre, Soho Theatre and the Dublin Theatre Festival and toured to New York, London, Glasgow, and Dublin.
There are two group companies. The parent company (Lyric Theatre NI) is a company limited by guarantee and a registered charity. Lyric Theatre NI is the owner and operator of the theatre and is the primary recipient of grant funding.
Lyric Players Theatre Productions Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of Lyric Theatre NI and is responsible for producing professional theatre productions and the operation of food and beverage operations within the theatre. The successful café and bar are an important component of the business.
The combined turnover of the two companies is in excess of £2.5 million. The two companies employ in excess of 70 employees.
For more information on the Lyric Theatre visit www.lyrictheatre.co.uk.
Purpose of the post
The Marketing Manager is a key role within the theatre, leading on the design and implementation of all marketing strategy, sales, audience development, print and digital promotions, branding, and communications to develop and engage audiences for the Lyric Theatre for both Lyric productions and visiting companies. The post-holder will work closely with the Head of Development and Marketing, and is supported by a Marketing Officer and a Marketing Assistant.
Location: The post is based at the administration offices at 55 Ridgeway Street, Belfast, BT9 5FB.
Pay scale: Annual Salary of up to £27,000, for an exceptional candidate
Contract: The position is permanent and full-time. The notice period is 1 month.
Probationary period: The appointment will commence with a probation period of nine months which may be terminated at a month’s notice by either side during the period. During this time the organisation reserve the right to dismiss the employee for unsatisfactory performance without recourse to the disciplinary procedure.
Annual leave: 20 days discretionary plus bank/public holidays (currently 11 days). There may be occasions when it is required to work on a public or bank holiday for which a day in lieu will be given.
Working hours: The standard working week will be 37.5 hours over 5 days however due to the nature of this position some degree of flexibility is required from the post holder to meet the demands of the theatre’s schedule.
Reporting to: Head of Development & Marketing
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver an audience development strategy for the Lyric, to identify and target new markets and audiences and to retain and engage loyal audiences.
- Deliver consistent CRM, to ensure the theatre has a comprehensive appreciation of its current and future customer base to enable effective segmentation, targeting and increase audience participation.
- Channel a singular voice for the customer throughout all areas of the business, through the utilisation and optimisation of the CRM system to provide visibility of the full customer journey, from initial contact through to post show evaluations.
- Work with Head of Customer Services and Box Office/ FOH staff to ensure the customer and audience experience is placed at the centre of the theatre, through a strong emphasis on direct customer exposure and experience.
Sales and Marketing
- Develop and deliver integrated sales and marketing campaigns for Lyric Theatre Productions, Café / Bar, Conferencing and Creative Learning Activities.
- Develop and deliver promotional and pricing strategy to ensure they maximize the opportunities for each segmented market audience, set sales targets and regularly monitor revenue against targets.
- Oversee production and delivery of all printed and online material including in-venue print, seasonal brochures, social media, e-commerce, PR and other event publicity.
- Lead on audience insight, analyse audience data, and other market research to better inform the overall marketing and communication strategy.
- Develop and promote the Lyric brand ensuring a positive and consistent brand message is delivered in all communications.
- Work closely with our sponsors to deliver agreed marketing outcomes and maximize all branding opportunities.
- Help to develop the theatre’s digital marketing strategy; overseeing all digital marketing plans including CRM strategy, e-marketing and managing social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, to help increase audience numbers, online sales and overall digital presence.
- Oversee the management of the content of the theatre’s website, ensuring a best in class user experience, optimized conversion rates and tracking digital analytics. Provide a high level of copy-writing and copy-editing, for the creation of social media content, mailers, website content, and other promotional materials
- Research social media market trends and other relevant information that helps managers develop marketing plans.
- Line-management responsibility for Marketing Officer and Marketing Assistant, working to agreed sales and audience targets and managing performance.
- Manage third party suppliers and service providers in compliance with procurement guidelines.
- Responsibility for working within agreed budgets, tracking and monitoring under/over spend and ensuring best value for money is obtained.
- Support Head of Development and Marketing by providing information for use in funding applications, Board reports and evaluations.
- Management of all media and PR relationships, requirements and opportunities for Lyric productions and activities, including management of external PR agency.
- Contribute to the creation and development of strategic business plans, campaign plans and overall marketing plan (including social media planner).
- Other relevant duties as may be required from time to time as part of working in a small team, and that fall within the general scope of the post.
- All staff are required to be professional, co-operative and flexible, as the role demands.
This list is for guidance only and is not exhaustive. The post holder will also be required to carry out other reasonable duties as required by the Head of Development & Marketing.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in a professional marketing & communications environment.
- A successful track record of developing and implementing marketing plans for audience development and sales, and monitoring and evaluating their success.
- Experience of running successful media, advertising, print and digital media campaigns and managing their budget.
- Experience of conducting robust analysis, effective evaluations and reports for use by senior staff and in funding applications.
- Experience of line managing relationships, internally and externally.
- Experience of working with the media.
- Experience of and the ability to demonstrate excellent copywriting, presentational and communication skills.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail, and ability to manage a complex workload.
- Excellent IT skills
- Related* degree-level qualification or 3 years’ relevant experience*
marketing, communications, public relations
- The ability to lead and inspire a team, and to work as part of a larger team
- Enthusiasm, drive and commitment for continued improvement.
- Able to work flexible hours.
- A passion for the arts
Please submit your CV along with a covering letter demonstrating how you meet the essential criteria and desirable criteria (if applicable), together with an Equality Monitoring form to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
The Monitoring Officer,
55 Ridgeway Street,
If you have any queries about the position, or require further information, please contact Micheál Meegan, Head of Finance & HR on 02890 385675.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 5pm, Wednesday 14th November 2018.