The following list is basic eligibility criteria that your organisation must meet to be able to apply for any of these small grants. If your organisation does not meet the eligibility criteria, we will not consider your application for funding.
We do not fund the following.
- Organisations that are:
- not formally constituted, in other words, they do not have a constitution or memorandum and articles of association;
- not operating on a not-for-profit basis (taken from the constitution or memorandum and articles of association) as we cannot support commercial projects or projects that could be carried out commercially. If, in the reasonable opinion of the Council, the Organisation applying for funding is a de facto commercial Organisation, whatever the legal make-up of the Organisation, then the Council shall not fund that Organisation. The decision of the Council shall be final in this regard;
- able to share out profits (taken from the constitution or memorandum and articles of association);
- not prepared to share learning from their project with us and other relevant groups;
- Local authorities or public-sector organisations;
- Schools, except where there is a clear need demonstrated that the project being funded will serve the community and this need is not being met by another organisation. Please contact us before applying for funding if you fall into this category and please note schools are not eligible for any community development grants;
- Individuals, unless they have been nominated by an appropriate organisation for either Support for Sporting Individuals Grant or a bursary for Good Relations practitioners to attend a conference through the Good Relations Grant.
- Projects that:
- have no significant benefit to the Belfast City Council area
- provide no potential benefit to the public, either in the short or long term;
- could be carried out on a commercial basis;
- have already taken place or are already under way at the time of the assessment;
- duplicate what already exists;
- are charity or fundraising events or activities;
- are of a party political nature;
- promote a particular religion; or
- are against Belfast City Council policy. For example, we do not allow balloon or Chinese lantern releases as they are against our environmental policy.
Applications that are not complete or do not provide a detailed project budget are also not eligible.
We are unlikely to fund an organisation that is in poor financial health or cannot show effective financial control.
Individuals involved in the delivery of the project, that is, staff, volunteers or board members of the applicant organisation, cannot benefit personally from the award of this grant. This means that they cannot be paid for the provision of goods or services from the grant.
It is also unlikely that you will receive funding if you have previously received a grant from us that was not managed satisfactorily or was not completed. This includes if you did not send us the monitoring and evaluation forms within the agreed timescales or if you did not seek approval for changes to your project. As well as the above, your project or organisation must also meet the specific eligibility for any of the small grants applied for.
If you are not sure whether your organisation and project meets the eligibility criteria, or you need more guidance on the application form, please contact one of our grants officers.
Projects must occur between 1 April 2020 and 30 September 2020, any activity outside these timescales will not be eligible for funding.
We will not accept applications we receive after the closing date and time.
You must use the correct form, which can be completed at www.belfastcity.gov.uk/funding
We are committed to making sure that our services are available to all sections of the community. We will consider providing this form and the application form in other formats if you ask, if this is practical.
Read the full guidance below.
Good Relations Grant guidance (pdf)
Then go to https://www.belfastcity-grants.com/ and register an account to aply online.
Deadline for this round is 12 noon on Friday 10 January 2020