Statistics on engagement in culture, arts and leisure by young people from Northern Ireland have been released by the Department of Communities on Thursday 27th July.
The bulletin contains headline statistics on the following topics:
- Participation in sport
- Participation in arts activities and attendance at arts events
- Use of the public library service
- Visited a museum or science centre.
- Visited a historic building, garden, monument; or city or town with historic character
- In 2016, almost all young people in Northern Ireland (99%) had participated in sport and more than nine in every ten young people (93%) had engaged with the arts in the previous year. Both proportions were similar to comparable figures for 2013.
- The proportions of young people who used the public library service (54%) or visited any museum or science centre (70%) in 2016 were slightly lower than in 2013.
- Young people who are entitled to free school meals have lower engagement rates than those who are not, particularly for those who visited museums and science centres and places of historic interest.