The Minister for Communities has established a Culture, Arts & Heritage Recovery Taskforce in response to COVID-19, to consider measures to support re-opening and recovery of the sector in the short-term, paving the way for a longer term strategy for culture, the arts and heritage.
Conor Shields, CAP’s CEO, comments:
“It is vital that we build an accurate picture of just how debilitating the effect of the pandemic has been to our sector. The more response we get from individuals, reporting their circumstances, the better. This is the way we prioritise need in the sector, from freelancers in community arts to technicians in other disciplines. Please help us to help you.”
The Taskforce has been asked to consider measures:
- to support the reopening of heritage sites, theatres, performance venues and relevant public gathering places in line with the Executive’s Pathway Out of Restrictions;
- to stimulate culture, arts and heritage activity, re-start the cultural economy and enable the sector to play a central role in rebuilding social and economic life here;
- to explore outdoor performance/activity, including at youth, amateur and community level across the summer, autumn and into the longer term, as a means of encouraging participation and building audience confidence as the opening of indoor and outdoor facilities and activities rolls out;
- to advise on actions in the short-term to support the retention of talent and skills and to stimulate opportunity for potential new-entrants embarking on a career in the sectors; and;
- to identify medium to long term actions which might be considered in the development of a new Culture, Arts and Heritage Strategy.
Why we are consulting
The Taskforce aims to support the recovery of the sector and make recommendations for a long term Culture, Arts & Heritage Strategy. For this reason experiences and opinions are sought from organisations and individuals operating within the sector. The recommendations where possible will start immediately and be deliverable within the short to medium term.
A list of Taskforce members can also be downloaded on the page above.